Reporting to the Senior Director, Human Resource Management, the incumbent is responsible for coordinating, implementing and administering the activitiesof the Documentation and Information Unit, ensuring that the relevant policies and best practices are implemented and up to achieve organizational efficiency and effectiveness.
• Develops budget, operational and work plans for the Unit.
• Develops programs for the Unit ensuring staff is effectively utilize;
• Formulates a complete and systematic process for obtaining advice from the Attorney General’s Department;
• Guides and adhere to legal requirements which effect the information of the Organization;
• Represents the Department at relevant records management conferences;
• Implements the provision of a comprehensive reference service to support the Department and its division need for relevant, timely and accurate information;
• Informs appropriate response to requirements to disclose records as a result of litigations which specific references to information management;
• Liaises with the Access to Information Unit of the Jamaica Archives and the Records Department on problems arising from the implementation of the Act;
• Represents the Department at relevant Records Management fora and conferences;
• Liaises with the Department’s Legal Officer to obtain in-house, expert advice and document which are not clearly non-exempt documents;
• Provides policy advice on the ATI Act on other legislation arising from the ATI Act issues to the Department staff.
• Implements the policies, procedures and codes of practice for Access to Information to the Organization’s official records;
• Develops strategy for managing a wide variety of access for information request;
• Develops long range forecast for records and information management programs with the Department;
• Plans, develops and establishes policies and procedures, formulates goals and objectives for operations, essential to be effective delivery of information;
• Reviews documentation systems, procedures, holdings and equipment to ensure that they support management effectiveness;
• Plans and designs and effective vital records protection and disaster recovery program for the Department;
• Produces and submit reports and progress, problems, and makes recommendation for improvement;
• Initiates review of the Department relevant legislation with regulation policies procedures program and information systems to ensure compliance with the ATI Act and legislation;
• Satisfies the information needs of the Department clientele by reviewing documentation systems procedures to ensure that the support management effectiveness;
• Arranges for and facilitates the publication of comprehensive information about activities and operation through website and other media which minimizes the necessities for format direct request to be processed;
• Analyses and appraises the status of records keeping and documentation in the Department and develops and oversees the implementation of modern, professional and technical standards.
Human Resource Responsibilities:
• Monitors and evaluates the performance of direct reports, prepares performance appraisals and recommends and/or initiates corrective action where necessary to improve performance and/or attaining established personal and/or organizational goals;
• Participates in the recruitment of staff for the Unit and recommends transfers, promotion, termination and leave in accordance with established Human Resource policies and procedures;
• Collaborates with the Division in developing and implementing a succession planning program for the Unit to facilitate continuity and the availability of required skills and competencies to meet the needs of the Unit;
• Provides leadership and guidance to direct reports through effective planning, delegation, communication, training, mentoring and coaching;
• Guides the welfare and developmental needs of staff in the Unit are clearly identified and addressed;
• Establishes and maintains an environment that fosters a culture of team work, employees’ empowerment and commitment to the unit and the organization’s goals.
• Any other related duties assigned from time to time.
• Legislation reviewed;
• Programs implemented in keeping with required standards and procedures;
• Policies and procedures developed within the established guidelines;
• Sound technical advice and guidance given;
• Cases prepared within agreed time frame;
• Publication of information arranged and disseminated in a timely manner.
• Excellent communication skills;
• Excellent inter-personal skills;
• Sound integrity/ethics exercised in the performance of duties.
• Good knowledge of the operations of Government and ministerial portfolios of responsibilities;
• Sound knowledge of records management in Government, conducting records inventory and building records retention schedule;
• Sound knowledge and experience in the management of electronic and record keeping systems;
• Good analytical and decision making and problem solving skills;
• Good leadership and research skills;
• Excellent planning and organizing skills.
• Bachelor’s degree in Library or Archival Studies plus training in computer information systems with at least five (5) years’ experience in the field or;
• First degree and Post-Graduate diploma in Library or Archival Studies and seven (7) years’ experience in the field and training in computer information systems or;
• Any other combination of training and experience that would yield the necessary skills needed at this level.
Applications accompanied by résumés should be submitted no later than Wednesday, 27th March, 2019 to:
Senior Director, HRM & Administration
Department of Correctional Services
5-7 King Street, Kingston
Applications will also be accepted via email: email@example.com